Saturday, April 17, 2010

Homeschooling You Say?

I will never forget our first couple years of homeschooling. I had my plan set of how it was going to work and we would follow it. Yep, there was my silly plan again. I did a good job of following that plan too. At the time, I was just homeschooling our daughter and she is so easy-going. Whatever method I used would work for her. To be a GOOD homeschooling Mom, I had to be so strict and inflexible, that's what school is all about, right? WRONG! I learned that learning is so much better when it is made ENJOYABLE. It's amazing how learning just HAPPENS! I have used many moments of non-school time, to teach my children. Those are the lessons that have stuck!

Was Victoria learning? Absolutely. Were we enjoying it? Not at all. I decided to change my curriculum up. There is so many options available to homeschoolers for teaching their children. My mind was boggled by it all. I would read books and catalogues long into the night searching to find the RIGHT fit for us. I had to have the EXACT PERFECT one. Somehow, I left God out of the equation. I began to pray for peace and guidance from Him. My husband had to go to Delaware for 2 weeks for his job. Our children and I were blessed to be able to accompany him. On one of those days, I just drove around. I saw a Salvation Army store and decided to stop. I was browsing the shelves of books and suddenly saw a familiar huge curriculum book. It was the exact book that I had almost purchased previously, but wasn't sure about it and didn't want to spend the money. (All who know me, know that I am VERY frugal). I decided to purchase the book. It so happened that day that all books were on sale, so this entire years worth of curriculum only cost me $1.29! I read through it and it was EXACTLY what I had in mind to teach and what I was looking for. God not only showed me what to use, but He placed it right in my path and at a major bargain too! Isn't He awesome!?! That is the curriculum I used for Victoria for First Grade and now for David this year. I purchased the Second and Third Grade Curriculum too. It has been a wonderful fit for us. We might be ready to change things up again, but I know that God will lead me to the right fit for our family.

No comments: