Monday, April 26, 2010

Contentment

I had an overwhelming feeling of contentment wash over me Saturday evening. I was playing UNO Attack with my husband and children. We had enjoyed a nice dinner together. Everyone was happy and there was peace in our home. It was blissful. How I wish this was the case each and every day.

Since then, my mind has begun to ponder the words content and contentment. Paul writes in Philippians about contentment. He states that he had learned to be content in whatever state he was in (paraphrased). This is something that God has dealt with my heart on over the past 12 years. When we moved from Canada to the U.S. in April of 1997, I had a hard time adjusting. Everything was different. I was far from family, I was in a new church, I was in a new house, etc.... Even activities such as grocery shopping was very different. In my time of struggle, this scripture that I quoted above became my motto... "I have learned in whatsoever STATE I am therewith to be content." (Philippians 4:11). I took this Scripture very literal. I told myself that I was in the STATE of Michigan and that I needed to learn to be content. A great transformation began to happen in my life. When I "let go and let God", I became content. I would now have a very hard time leaving Michigan. I have not learned to only be content here, but to LOVE it here.

I relate this feeling of contentment to being the mother of a child with ADHD. It can be real hard to be content when you face the daily challenges that are packaged with ADHD. I know the days where you feel like walking out the front door and never coming back. This is a feeling I never understood until I became the mother of one with ADHD. This past while, God has been dealing with my heart once again. He is the Master Heart Surgeon. He is speaking to my heart to learn to be content in this state I am currently in. Again, I'm finding that I'm not only learning to be content, but I'm learning to be thankful for it. When I learn to be content, my eyes are opened to all the blessings I have.

It's imperative that I remember that things do not stay the same forever. Life changes. My mission is to learn to be content. Jesus knows exactly where I am and the challenges I face each day. He is to be my source of contentment. I am blessed among women.

No comments: